Since I’m using OwnCloud instead of OneDrive or Google Drive for my private photo storage, I’m also obliged to keep care of updates…
You may choose:
- Trust yourself and update owncloud and hope that you can make it
- Trust Microsoft/Google that they will handle it and will not give away your data voluntarily or unvoluntarily via security holes.
I made myself trusting myself… nevertheless, I believe the risk of making a fault and losing the data is higher as using OneDrive or other cloud-based services…
Back to the original topic:
- The Owncloud Client notified my that an update is available.
- Owncloud Server does not support automatic updates like WordPress…. So reading through the manual.
- Connect to server
- Switch on maintenance mode
- Move all to backup directory
- Download and extract latest version
- Copy config/config.php to new directory
- Copy data/ to new directory
- Run Update Script
- Leave maintenance mode
In total about 15 minutes which is ‚waste of time‘ compared to the scenario OneDrive.